1 Peter 1
Things that pop out at me:
"born again to a living hope" (3)
A living hope--as opposed to all other hope in the world. Jesus opens the door for us to die to our sinful selves and be born new to a hope that we can trust and love. But really, what does this mean?
"an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, 5who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. " (4-5)
I don't know of one thing on this Earth that I could call imperishable, undefiled and unfading. But that's what's waiting for me in Heaven. I also learn from this verse how faith is powerful. It is used to guard my inheritance. Something to look into- "who" by God's power?
"The tested genuineness of faith" (7)
Our faith is tested for genuineness. Anyone who just sits there, claiming to be a Christian, without lifting a finger for Christ will have to answer to this verse. Faith is just so powerful. More precious than gold or silver. It will call us to lead equally powerful lives.
"obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls" (9)
And what happens thanks to the power of faith in the Lord? Salvation. Amazing. I feel that I need to focus more on my faith so I can really develop a deep-seeded relationship with Christ. But which really comes first? faith or relationship?
"things into which angels long to look" (12)
I love this insight into the character of angels. I don't completely understand what they're longing to look into.
"do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance"(14)
I feel this is what I do a lot. I conform. As a new being, I need to focus on reshaping my whole self in order to conform completely to Christ.
"you shall be holy, for I am holy" (16)
We are called to be holy because He is holy. We are to be like Him. With the living hope we find in Him, we can accomplish this.
"having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth" (22)
Our obedience is what purifies our souls. Simply by obedience- repenting for the sins we've committed, and staying away from sin- we can be pure. I love purity. This world is so filled with dirt and grime, a truly clean spirit is a beautiful thing.
"All flesh is like grass
and all its glory like the flower of grass.
The grass withers,
and the flower falls,
25 but the word of the Lord remains forever." (24-25)
This reminds me of verses 4-5. We are made of perishable things. Everything we touch, see, interact with will not last. The Lord has always been and will always be forever. The sheer inability to even comprehend this is awe-inspiring.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home